Category Archives: 4×4

2.8.16

MF8 Gigaminx


Well, as an obvious step up from yesterday’s Megaminx, it’s the turn of the giga today. 

Solve-wise, I don’t think there is much of a difference – than there is between solving a 3×3 and a 4×4. 

Saying that, this was a gift possibly two Christmases ago (from my wish list), but hasn’t been solved very many times. So it is hard to remember…

If I’m right quite a lot of people weren’t overly impressed with this puzzle. I did a few turns this morning when I picked it up to take to work and it seems to turn well enough. The stickers are all intact and it’s a comfortable weight. It’s OK. Not going to break any speed solving records, especially now that the cheaper and better Shengshou version is available. 

The amount of times I solve this puzzle tells me that I have no need for the Shengshou, but if you don’t have a Gigaminx already, that’s probably the road for you. 

So, here is this one scrambled:


And, of course, only 14 days to go:

Advertisements

29.7.16

Witeden 4x4x2

So, today it’s another shape shifter – the floppy 4x4x2. 

This is another older puzzle from the collection that doesn’t get solved very often. To be honest, it’s the same as most of them!! One good thing to come from this blog is playing with older puzzles that don’t get used very often!!

As you can see, this on is a shape shifter:


It should be noted that this puzzle is not capped internally, so doesn’t feel very strong or solid – a bit flimsy feeling:


Much the same as others this week, you first reduce this back to the original, cuboid shape and then solve. And therein lies the rub…..

Parities. Or false equivocations. 

I would like to say I understand parities a lot more these days. I spent quite a while trying to learn parity algorithms, but they are generally fairly long. 

So, after a lot of reading on the Twisty Puzzles forums and lots of YouTube viewing, I think I understand why they happen and ways to solve without long algorithms – Cha Reeves from the twisty puzzle blog/YouTube is a good one for this. He generally only uses a few algorithms to solve pretty much most puzzle you could think of. And normally gets out of parity using a single turn and then resolving (it makes sense – watch some of his videos. See the links page). 

So, this is a big culprit for that, but it can be dealt with fairly easily. 

Anyway, it’s not a great puzzle – mostly because of the flimsy feel to it and being a bit catchy, but it can be found for not much more than £10 – I think Marty at the puzzle store has it for just over ten pounds plus postage. 

Not massively expensive, nt great but a fairly good additions for an introduction to cuboids. 

Well, what did you expect? Life would be boring if every cube I told you about was super great and worth buying, wouldn’t it???

I think it’s only fair to tell you good and bad points – this blog may be useful for a beginner building a collection, so subjectivity should be used. 

Here it is scrambled:


Have a happy weekend. Three weeks to go!

13.7.16

“Rubbish” charity shop super 4×4 *UPDATE*

Well, today is a bit of an update. A bit of a success story. 

You may remember super cube week a while back? Well, the cheap super 4×4 was annoying me. The girl I bought it for went on holiday for a week or so. I thought that, whilst she was away, I would solve the cube for her.

How wrong I was…..

The thing was IMPOSSIBLE to turn. Not the greatest video, I admit, but take a look at how bad it really was:


So, I thought I would take it home and try to fix it for her…

What I found was: disgust!

I took the thing apart:


And it was obvious how dirty it was:


So, I went about cleaning it up. You can see just how filthy it was:


I then started attempting to reassemble it  (after the 10×10 – piece of cake! Right? WRONG!). It was almost impossible!

The inner centre pieces just wouldn’t stay in – there was no integrity as with the 10×10 – as those inner pieces went in, they sort of held each other in place. Not this….

Over the past couple of weeks, my tiredness level has gone through the roof. Every time I touched it, another piece fell out. I just haven’t had the energy to do it. 

UNTIL TODAY! (5am this morning, to be precise):


I struggled with the centres again, but powered through with a bit of a new plan of attack:


Made fairly quick progress:


You may wonder why I taped it as I went – it was so feeble, it just wouldn’t stay together – even with the screws as tight as they would go. 

Anyway, the last piece was a bit of a struggle, but I made it. 

I’d put a tiny bit of lube in the middle layer as I built it, but not much. 

Couldn’t be happier with the end result:


See you tomorrow for more insomnia-induced adventures!